Sink Tips & Advice
The next time you find yourself with a plugged sink, try some of these useful tips and advice from the Doctor himself! If you are still experiencing problems, call the Drain Doctor at 1-866-934-5156 for professional, reliable 24-hour service.
- Don’t put grease down the sink!
- Cover drains with hair and food catchers (also known as strainers) to keep unwanted items from entering the drainage pipes and causing a clog.
- For smelly or slow drains, use Drainbusters drain cleaner, a non-toxic enzyme that liquefies and removes grease, fats and organic matter. It contains no harsh chemicals so it’s safe to use on all septic and waste management systems. When you add it to your plumbing system, it purges buildup, eliminating the source of foul smelling odours.
- Try plunging the drain: if the sink has an overflow, stuff it with a wet rag to ensure adequate suction. Place the plunger cup over the drain and run water until it covers the cup. Plunge rapidly up and down. Once the obstruction is clear, run hot water for 2 minutes to dissolve any buildup.
- To prevent future clogs, run hot water down the drain after each use. Hot water washes away any fresh buildup, allowing it to flow through the drain, as opposed to sticking to the sides of the pipes.